Thursday, February 4, 2016

Review: R.T. Garcia Early Education Winter Conference


This weekend I attended the R.T. Garcia Early Childhood Winter Conference. Glad I requested to attend because it was time well spent. This is my fourth year attending the event and each year the overall quality of presentations increases. The number of participants is also increasing, resulting in many of the sessions quickly filling to capacity. To ensure I get what I need my typical modus operandi is to first obtain the online schedule and break-out sessions information for review of the various offerings. Then I identify my particular needs based on whats available. The last step in my preparation is two-fold: Firstly I choose 2-3 sessions per time slot that align with my needs. Secondly I research the presenter or the organization represented that is leading the workshop so I can have a more informed introduction to the information to be presented. This tidbit of data is also useful for networking.
In past conferences my intentions were focused on learning popular methods for introducing students to STEM, developmentally appropriate lessons for teaching emergent literacy, and classroom management techniques for students with special needs. Ive gained valuable information and many applicable techniques to use in my classroom. That stated, this weekend's quest was different. Rather than racing to beat the crowds filling into the curriculum-based classrooms, I went in search of instructional technology.
The first session was supposed to cover incorporating technology into the curriculum with the use of tablets and literacy apps. Sounds interesting right? Well, due to low numbers (2 participants) that session was cancelled... The second session was presented by two college professors involved in a master's training program for teachers wanting certification in instructional technology... Cancelled for low participation. This worked in my favor however, allowing for a lengthy conversation about their program and the differences between Ph.D and Ed. D. The last session wasn't cancelled thankfully. The presenter's powerpoint about the concerns of young children over-indulging on video games, smartphones, and tablets was insightful. Her research has sparked my own investigations into the data concerning the pruning of the brain occurring in children exposed to large doses media devices.
Overall I left with options for grad school, information about current brain research and methods for encouraging hyper-stimulated children to perform better in the classroom. My experiences with the R.T. Garcia Early Childhood Winter Conference has yet to disappoint. *Highly Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment