Friday, April 19, 2013

'Guiding' Genius


Why did I chose to the word Guiding in my name, Guiding Genius:

I will give Lev Vygotsky his due justice in an upcoming post. But, I just came across an exchange that summarizes his theory, as it pertains to guiding children towards their genius. Taken from Enquiring Teachers, Enquiring Learners: A Constructivist Approach For Teaching by Catherine Twomey Fosnot.

"You know," Jane began slowly, "I'm just beginning to understand how important it is to understand how the learners you are working with think. As a teacher, you almost have to be able to get inside the child's head to think like that child."
 Susan nodded in agreement and extended Jane's point. "I was also thinking that it seems like learning is a case of going from the known to the unknown. What  one knows, and how one knows affect what one can learn. If the teacher helps the child make connections, then the knowledge becomes a connected network of meaning and relations. Otherwise, knowledge might be just separate bits and facts to be memorized."
"And then probably forgotten," added Steven in agreement.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment