Saturday, August 30, 2014

I Pledge Allegiance to Guiding Genius.

So, my rising sign is Libra. At the time of my birth the zodiac rising in the heavens was Libra. This is relevant to this post because I am mentally weighing how I want to present *Guiding Genius* to the world. Whereas I am an artist, I live with the passion and desire to push the (proverbial) envelope further than a more conservative writer would. Whereas I am a businesswoman and a teacher in a public school, I hesitate at making political, religious and racial statements at the risk of isolating anyone or facing backlash.... Decisions, decisions.

 
Balance is necessary in all things. The beauty attributed to Libra is that of symmetry and fair judgement. Guiding Genius is committed to assisting families, communities and educators in recognizing and developing the genius in all children. My personal commitment to uplifting my own community requires I dedicate time and energy towards researching and problem-solving for traditionally disadvantaged children. No apologies. No apprehension... Maybe a little apprehension. Somewhere along the way I was taught against taking care of those that look like me... *Note to self- Meditate on this phenomena, perhaps it is linked to why Black schools are underfunded and under supported?
Guiding Genius understands the disparities in public education cannot will not change because the problems are on a foundational level. The meme above gives some insight into the problem. While this blog will not be a huge rant, I will spend some time describing the dimensions of our young genius's 'miseducation'. Just as doctors run tests to determine the problem and extent of damage, so must we clearly understand why traditional education- as it is- is unable, and I will go as far as to say unwilling, to guide genius. Many more posts, however will be solution oriented.


Part of the curriculum we use at my worksite has a component for patriotism. There is an included children's book with the US pledge and the Texas pledge. We are to review the pledges, recite them out loud, do the whole hand over the heart ritual, then create our own classroom pledge. The school's principal, Center Manager, purchased flags for each classroom to display throughout the year. Ugh. One major reason I am not an ISD teacher is precisely this. I want no part in the patriotism song and dance. I have issues with the United States and the United States has issues with me. From the Prison Industrial Complex to the Voting Rights Act to Reparations...and that's just this century. Plus, all of my children come from first, second or illegal generation immigrants. I am well aware of the high value they place on the opportunity the US provides compared to the extreme poverty in their countries. But much of those economic policies are greatly influenced by US capitalism, by US companies putting dollars before lives..... See, how this is spiraling into a whole 'nutha conversation? Lol, my inner Libra is saying "Pump the breaks!" Solutions: The flags are displayed. They will be identified and discussed so the children are familiar with their purpose in our classroom. The pledge will be read as an example of a commitment. Then we will create our own pledge and flag. We will pledge allegiance to kindness and community inside our classroom and our school. That is all. They will be fully indoctrinated in the ISD. Im sure of it.  




No comments:

Post a Comment